Other similar insect species are known as silverfish. Two other silverfish are common in North America, Ctenolepisma longicaudata and Ctenolepisma quadriseriata. Ctenolepisma urbana is known as the urban silverfish. The firebrat (Thermobia domestica) is like a silverfish but smaller and with darker markings of brown and black.
Prevention & Control:
- Eliminate sources of excessive moisture such as faulty plumbing and condensation. Silverfish love the humidity.
- Using a dehumidifier will reduce the moisture content of the air that is essential to silverfish survival.
- Other dehumidify methods include:
* Ventilate closed rooms and atticso
* Eliminate standing water
* Run an air conditioner
- Regularly vacuum cracks and crevices around the home with a narrow tip.
- Remove easily accessible food sources by storing pantry food in tight containers.
If you already have a silverfish problem inside your home, contact your pest management professional and request an inspection, to prepare a comprehensive pest management plan that will effectively and efficiently deal with the specific pest problem.